Sunday, February 3, 2013

Consistency is the Key to Success

In the years that I have been training I have noticed one overwhelming key to success. The most successful individuals in life have this one characteristic in common:

Consistency.

Whether in my own training or when working with others, the one factor I believe determines long term success and failure is consistency. Below I will discuss three elements that must be present for you to be successful.

#1 - Goal Setting

Setting specific goals is an often overlooked element in the path to long term success. How can you begin to define success if you are not sure exactly where you want to go? If one of my clients tells me they want to lose weight or get stronger that's great, but I need specifics. How much weight do you want to lose? How much do you want to squat? When do you expect to accomplish this? What happens if you don't? You must have a clear definition of what you want to accomplish and how you are going to accomplish it. Consistently strive to set new goals and break personal records.

#2 - Assessment

It all begins with the assessment. If you aren't assessing you're guessing. Period. If your goal is fat loss, take circumference measurements and get on the scale. If you want to move more efficiently and decrease your pain level, find a qualified professional (like myself) to evaluate your posture and current movement skills. Keep a training journal recording sets, reps, and weight used. I have kept a training journal since 2007. It's a great feeling looking back at those journals and seeing the progress I've made over the years. When you consistently evaluate yourself, the proof is in the pudding. Many of my clients avoid assessments like the plague because they are afraid to be held accountable for their actions. Don't be afraid! The expectation needs to be set from the beginning that you will consistently evaluate yourself periodically. I encourage my clients to schedule some form of assessment every six to eight weeks.

#3 - Training and Nutrition

You must consistently get your butt in the gym or on the field and put good food on your plate to reach your goals. Its that simple.

Are you training at least three times per week?

Are you consistently adding weight to the bar?

Are you putting good food on your plate 90% of the time?

Is the scale moving in the right direction?

Do your clothes fit?

These are just a few of the questions you need to be asking yourself in your quest for self-improvement. If the answer to any of these is no, take a hard look at your routine and make a change.




No comments:

Post a Comment