Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Right Tool for the Job



The last few weeks have been pretty crazy in the Chapman household. I won't get into specifics, but I've had a lot on my plate in recent weeks. There are some big changes coming in the next month for myself and my family. I am expreiencing several emotions regarding these changes, but all things considered I feel good about it. I'm not quite ready to disclose what this change is yet, so stay tuned as I'm sure I will be writing about it soon.

Being that my stress level has been higher than usual, I needed to blow off some steam. Jodie and I decided to have some friends over last weekend for an impromptu Cinco De Mayo celebration. It was nice to hang out and socialize while enjoying a little food and way too much tequila. Seriously...way too much.

Anyway, I got to chatting with one of Jodie's friends (we'll call her CT) about fitness. CT is in pretty good shape and has tried just about everything under the sun regarding fitness. Commericial gyms, group classes, Crossfit, you name it. Her current modality of choice is Pure Barre. When she told me I immediately resisted the urge to vomit. Or maybe that was later in the evening....I'm not sure.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Pure Barre, its a form of group exercise that incorporates elements of ballet into a training session. That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject. As you can imagine, it's not really my thing. Anyway, after my initial horror had passed I asked her what she liked about it compared to all the other things she had tried.

As she described all of her fitness experiences, a theme began to emerge. In nearly everything she had tried before, she hated the atmosphere. Whether it was the annoying people that flood the commercial gym, the elitist coach at the crossfit box, or crazy Zumba lady that looks like a Cheetah, she simply didn't like being there.

When she found this Pure Barre thing, she found a place she liked going to and she stuck with it. She feels great, is more consistent, and most importantly, got results. It might not be what I would choose for anyone, but it works for CT.

Our conversation resulted in what one might call an "Ah ha" moment.

The most important element in any fitness endeavor is finding what works best for YOU.

I talk a lot about the benefits of strength training, and I'm not about to change my stance on it. Lifting weights changed my life and continues to shape me into a better person every time I step foot in the gym. I've helped middle aged men who couldnt even get into position to deadlift on day one, pull 2x body weight. A feat they never dreamed possible. A stronger body with more muscle will serve you well in every aspect of life. However, instead of continuing to hammer a square peg into a round hole, I encourage you to venture outside the box.

It might take a while to find the right tool for the job, but the most important thing is that you keep working until the job gets done. Find your tool. 

You might be going to a gym simply because it is convenient and close to home. The people there might repulse you, yet you continue to scan your card and go into that toxic environment. Are you going to rage if you see Bro Montana doing curls in the squat rack again? Then get out of there! A gym should be a place of physical AND mental health. 

Inspiration comes in many forms and in the most random of places. CT may have just inspired me get proactive about finding a new place to train. I have been training in a commercial gym atmosphere for years, and lately I have been getting more and more tired of it. Just like bars, some of the best gyms are hole in the wall dungeons where there is nothing else to do but get shit done. I think its time to find my hole in the wall.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself about your current gym/training program:

Do I look forward to going?

Am I pushed outside my comfort zone from time to time?

Do I feel accomplished when I leave the majority of the time?

Do I feel welcome? Like part of a family?

Do I have access to the equipment I need?

Am I getting the results I want?

If you are in a situation where you training environment is dragging you down, try something different. I don't care what it is, just get out and try something else. What do you have to lose?


No comments:

Post a Comment