Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Stronger Female - Part 1


My inspiration for this post comes from my amazing wife Jodie. There have been several occasions where Jodie has come home from the gym and regaled me with stories of how other men and women have approached her with complements. Jodie is not afraid to venture into the weight room and put the barbell in her hands or knock out sets of pull ups next to a bunch of sweaty meatheads. I would like to think I have had a positive influence on her because I have espoused the benefits of lifting weights and mastering the essential movements everyone (male and female) should do to get lean and strong. That being said I am very proud of her. She is strong, beautiful, and confident. Anyone that knows my wife understands she is an extreme type A personality. If you tell her she can't do something she will most likely prove you wrong , then give you a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the face.


This is probably why she is so successful. She likes the challenge and appreciates the benefits that come from something that takes time and effort to master.

Women that strength train are a rarity. By strength training I don't mean the 2.5 pound pink dumbbells for three sets of 20. I mean learning to use a barbell, kettlebells, dumbbells and your bodyweight in a bunch of different ways. I would classify strength training as using compound movements (think squat and pull up) for multiple sets of 5 to 10 reps. This also means using a weight that is challenging for that rep range. For example, if you do a set of squats for 5 reps with a weight you can do 15 times (unless its a warm up set), that's not strength training. A better choice would be doing 5 reps with a weight you can do 8 times. These movements do not need to encompass your entire program, but they should make up the meat and potatoes of it.

After proper movement, strength is the foundation that all other skills are built upon. What does an hour on the elliptical five days per week help you accomplish in the real world? Does your Zumba class give you the tools to help your husband with yard work or pick up something heavy when nobody is around to help you? Are you really getting the body you want by doing this stuff? I'm not saying these things are totally evil. I'm saying that they should not be the cornerstone of your training program.

Lets take a look at why seeing a female in the weight room is as rare as Mark Sanchez completing a pass to someone on his own team.

"I'm intimidated by all the schweaty meatheads"

Planet Fitness has made a fortune on selling memberships to people with this concern. They make some pretty funny commercials too. This place is a complete joke. Check out this article to see what their idea of "fitness" looks like as well as some of their commercials. I wouldn't enter the doors of this place if my life depended on it, but I digress. Even I can admit training in a room full of sweaty dudes isn't exactly comforting. Compound this with the fact that there aren't any other females around and you have a recipe for a trip to the nearest elliptical machine or Zumba class.

"I don't know what I'm doing"

Most females (and males too) don't have the first clue about how to lift weights properly or where to begin. Nobody wants to look like an idiot right?

"I don't want to get bulky"

Many women believe that lifting weights will make them "bulky". I'm not going to get too in depth here because I'm sure you have heard all this before. Women have much lower testosterone levels than men do. Most men struggle to add muscle mass with much higher levels of T. I remember being a freshman in college with ridiculously high levels of testosterone and tons of extra time on my hands. I would train 4-5 days per week, eat a metric shit ton of food (yes, that's a real number), and be absolutely ecstatic to gain 1 pound of muscle in a month. So, unless you are a total genetic freak its going to be pretty tough to get "bulky".


Now a Few Steps You Can Take to Set Yourself Up for Success in Any Weight Room.


Step 1: Education

Knowledge is power. There are a ton of resources out there to help you learn how to lift safely and create a solid weight training program. In addition to any of the links listed on the right, two of my favorites are Girls Gone Strong and The New Rules of Lifting for Women. These resources do a great job of dispelling many of the myths surrounding women and strength training. This will also prepare you mentally to overcome many of the preconceived notions you have held in the past.

Step 2: Find a Good Coach

It could be a friend or trainer. I've written about this before, but a good coach will teach you all the finer points of solid technique, make sure you are safe and provide the needed motivation to do things you never thought possible. I have trained a few women that can deadlift more than their male counterparts. Most of them look at the weight on the bar and think I'm crazy, but when they pick it up the look of pride on their faces is priceless.

Step 3: Find a Partner

After you have sought out the help of a good coach, the time may come for you to do it on your own. I have several clients that used to work with me 3-4 times per week and are now seeing me once per week and doing the rest on their own. Change is much easier to handle with someone you trust by your side. The added benefit of someone else to motivate and hold you accountable is also a huge plus. I'm sure all of you out there have a friend that is into fitness. Ask your friend if they would be willing to meet up and train together. Your coach also might be able to recommend a partner.

Step 4: Just Do It

Sorry, but to get results you are eventually going to have to venture outside your comfort zone. I think the best strategy is to wear a hat, put your headphones in, keep you head down and focus on the task at hand. Start small and pick a couple of movements to do in the weight room. After a few times, you will realize it isn't so bad. You might even like it!

I hope all the steps above help you to begin your journey into being a stronger, more confident female. In part 2 of this series, I will describe some common mistakes I see women make in training as well as some ideas for how to set up your own training program. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment