Saturday, July 26, 2014

Training Log 7/20/14 - 7/26/14



My writing has been pretty slow as of late. Admittedly, I've been trying to focus on learning the ropes with the new job, so creative juices have been in shorter supply these last several weeks. I'll still be writing about various topics that inspire me albeit slightly less frequently.

That being said, I thought keeping a log of my training could be a useful addition to the blog. I won't be posting these to social media very often, because I don't want to be THAT guy. You know the guy that is 250lbs, 5 percent body fat, squats 1000 and posts every "workout" to his Twitter page in between fist pumps.

I don't train to broadcast what I do to the world. I train because it keeps me sane and I love it. If some of you draw inspiration from what I do and learn something from how I do it, then mission accomplished. Also feel free to reach out with any questions in the comments section.

I currently am using a slightly bastardized version of Brandon Lily's Cube Method. I was skeptical at first for a few reasons.
  • I didn't think the intensity of this program was high enough to elicit the strength gains I am looking for. With cube training, you only train "heavy" once per week with the other days being either dynamic or repetition-based. It's always been my belief that you need to train at or above 80% of IRM most weeks for strength. 
  • Second, frequency is low. You only train each lift once per week. For the average trainee this is fine, but for powerlifting I feel that performing the big lifts multiple times per week is more optimal. 
After some careful thought, I said screw it and vowed to give it a go. For more information on the Cube Method check out THIS article.

I'm currently 4 weeks into the training cycle and I can honestly say it has been great. The rotation of modalities has been a welcome change and allows me to recover much better from week to week. I'm excited to see where this takes me.

This Week's Training:

Monday - Lower Body Focus

1. Low Bar Squat - 3x2 @ 345
2. Oly Squat - 2x2 @ 365

3A. Ab Wheel Rollouts - 3x10 @ 25
3B. GHR - 3x6
3C. St. Leg Raise - 3x10-12
3D. Farmer's Walk - 3x30sec @ 105 each

Wednesday - Upper Body Focus

1. Bench - 6x2 @ 225
2. Close Grip Bench - 2x5 @ 245

3A. Pendlay Row - 4x6
3B. Db Bench - 2x10 + Rest Pause

4A. Chin ups (various grips) - 2x max reps
4B. Dead Bug - 2x8 each
4C. Chest supported rear laterals - 2x12
4D. Pallof press - 2x3x10s holds

Friday - Lower Body Focus

1. Deadlift - 1x6 @ 425, 3x1 @ 425
2. Snatch Grip RDL w/ straps - 3x10 @ 265
* DLs felt great today. Light and explovive. Took a little extra time to warm up abs.

3A. Ham Curl - 3x10
3B. 3 month KB Pullover w/ pause - 3x10
3C. Meadows Row - 3x10

4. Walking Lunges - 1x40 steps

Saturday - GPP

Random assortment of KB swings, snatches and direct arm work.


No comments:

Post a Comment