Sunday, February 22, 2015

Random Meathead Thoughts and Stuff You Should Read - 2/22/15



Its funny how life changes can alter ones perspective. Since making a career change I haven't had much time or mental energy for writing. I think its been about 6 months since my last post (eek!). This move has definitely been one of the more challenging and humbling things I have endured in my life. 

On top of the obvious physical transition of working in an office, I've gone from the "expert" to the complete novice. People used to come to me for all the answers, now the tables have turned. There have been several times where I've thought "I suck at this" or "What the hell am I doing?". I'm sure many of my personal training clients have had these thoughts while going through their own changes. Regardless of the task, we can't continue to grow as individuals unless we step outside our comfort zone. 

There are many things about training full time that I miss, but others I don't. Currently, I train about 3-4 hours/week in person and work with a handful of clients online. Not surprisingly, I enjoy these few hours I spend each week more than I did the 45-50 hours/week I used to spend working in the fitness biz full time. My mind is fresh and I stress about it much less because its not my main source of income. 

The fitness business is very volatile. Your livelihood largely depends on the schedule, physical state and emotional state of others.  It is much more stressful when a client gets sick, travels, or flakes out when your livelihood depends on their attendance. The rewards of coaching others to be better versions of themselves are great, but it comes at a cost. 

All this said, one thing hasn't changed. I'm still a meathead.



I still think about training all the time and am trying to learn more. Using this knowledge to improve my own training keeps me grounded. I feel it is my duty to share this knowledge. "Pay it forward" if you will. Learning and teaching are a big part of who I am. 

There's an overwhelming amount of information out there. It's very easy for the average gym-goer to get confused and overwhelmed. This is where a good fitness professional has value. Obtaining the information is no longer an issue, finding the right information is. The days of the rep-counting trainer are long gone. The ability to serve as a coach and mentor are paramount. I recently read something by Jon Goodman, a well respected pro in the industry, stating a trainer’s role has changed from information provider to information make-senser. I couldn't agree more.

So that's my mission. I'll be keeping it very simple from here on out. If you're looking for someone to cut through a the bullshit and point you in the right direction in a practical way, look no further. Check out some of my favorite articles from the past week or so below. 


Throw Out Your Expectations - Sheena Leedham








No comments:

Post a Comment